Monday, February 27, 2012

Small things make me happy

DSC_2459

Before we left for Disney world I broke a couple little twigs off our weeping cherry tree and brought them inside and put them in a vase of water. I had always wanted to force branches to bloom but I thought the idea of putting sticks that look dead in a vase for a couple weeks seemed a little silly. Last year I glued popcorn on the sticks and found it to actually be cute -- so figured I could be patient this year.

And I am so glad I did. Having them in your house makes you realized that flowers don't just pop open --- it is a gradual process. It is amazing to observe. When they are on the trees I don't take the time to notice all the little things I just one day notice they have bloomed.

It has had a calming effect on me. It's like I have the chance to "smell the roses" everyday by observing these sticks. The flowers were beautiful but I was so surprised by the emergence of the leaves. I knew the flowers would bloom, but I forgot all about the leaves. I am having my own personal spring inside despite the cold outside.

I am going out in the morning to get some more dead looking sticks and enjoy watching. . . really watching spring in all her glory.

No comments: