Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tornado Alley

After the crazy tornado in Moore, OK everyone is a little on the edge about severe weather. Dallas is no stranger to tornadoes or severe storms. Here is a look at the Dallas area for the past 60 years.

In the past 62 years, 775 tornadoes have been close to our house (the blue dot). So if I didn't have nightmares before, I will now!!! #americanredcrosstornadoapp

These storms fly through here quickly. I happened to be out when Julianne texted me and asked if I was going to pick her up from school and I thought, sure I could quickly go grab all the kids and then just be home for the storm. I pulled into Julianne's school about 1:45. Based on the radar the storm would be here at 2:15. It took 25 min for me to wait in line with all the parents, wait for them to call her and wait for her to gather her stuff and then come. By then it was pouring. I drove straight home and didn't get the other kids. By 2:45 the storm was completely passed and the other kids all were dismissed and came home in nice weather. Lesson learned. Unless you have a lot of time, you are probably safer leaving your kids at school than risking driving through the storm.

Here is a look at the storm heading towards Downtown Dallas, after it has passed us. It was a pretty finite line of clouds.

 photo null_zpsa7d0b34a.jpg

And here is how we kept Owen busy during the storm.

 photo null_zpsbb298400.jpg

No comments: