Saturday, May 11, 2013

Learning to ride a bike

Learning to ride a bike is an interesting thing. It is truly almost entirely a mental exercise. I remember well trying day after day with Julianne and she just could not get it. I began to wonder if she would ever learn how to ride. And then one day, her friend Hannah learned to ride and just like that, Julianne came home and was riding 5 minutes later. Imagine my shock when Catherine who was 3 1/2 at the time also learned how not 20 minutes after Julianne. Madelyn learned to ride (it was uneventful) and now we are at Adam. I have tried. and tried. and tried. He was just absolutely paralyzed with fear. He rode great with training wheels but the second they were off, he was crying. I began to think, "this boy will NEVER learn how to ride a bike". On Saturday with Trent outside I suggested that he try yet again. (after all, it is nearing the end of kindergarten and I kind of use that as a deadline for this particular skill). This time was so different. As I was removing the training wheels, Adam told me all about Harrison (a neighbor and kid in his class) and how he can ride a bike. We headed into the street and . . . he pushed off the ground twice, started pedaling and went all the way around the block. He hasn't stopped since. I am clearly the BEST bike instructor in the world.

Thank you peer pressure. I may never say that again!

Best Mother's Day present? Adam learned to ride his bike without training wheels.

No comments: