Sunday, June 26, 2011

My mommy and her baby

My mom is still barely hanging on. Each day we wonder if this will be the last. With each goodbye, we say I love you with more meaning each time than the previous time.

And then we go out and play with the kids, take them to a movie (cars 2 yesterday), take them to church, go on walks, go swimming, cook meals and so on.

And then all of sudden, my dad will call us all back to her bed -- sometimes it is because she wants to hear her grandkids sing a song, sometimes it is for just her kids to sit around her on her bed and have some special times.

And I can't lie -- it is heartbreaking.

There are moments when I hold my breath so long I wonder if I will pass out just trying to keep my composure and there are moments that take my breath away.

But the sweetest of them all is watching the love of my mom for her baby- my little brother Tyler. He leans in close and says, "I love you mom" and she squeezes his hand, whispers, "I love you too!" and gives him a kiss. And my heart just aches for them both.


5 comments:

Kathy said...

Jamie, my heart is breaking for you and your family, and yet I see such strength and courage from you. You are truly amazing, and now after reading about your mom and her fight with cancer, I see why you are the way you are. What a legacy she is leaving. My prayers are with you and your family during this hard, yet very sacred time.

Scott and Tobi said...

Simply beautiful. You could not have expressed your feelings any better than this.

Love Aunt Tobi

Gretchen said...

I'm so sorry, Jamie. My mom had breast cancer 12 years ago but we were lucky and she's been fine ever since. Still, it really made me think and I don't know what I'll do when she's gone some day. I'm glad you're able to be with your mom at this time.

Shell said...

I'm so sorry Jamie. You're family is so incredible and I'm glad you and your family are there to be with her. Your mom and brother are really sweet. Thinking about you lots.

Lillian said...

I can't help but think your family is in for some very spiritual experiences in the next little while. Your photography is beautiful, I'm glad you can capture these special moments.