Thursday, January 24, 2008

I feel blessed.

The past couple of days have been a little trying. As Trent was driving home from work Tuesday evening, we were chatting on the phone when he commented that the "check engine" light had come on. I asked him if the gas cap was on tightly. He answered that he had not gotten gas that day. I asked if there was any change in the car's performance. He answered that it seemed to be the same. I asked if the temperature was normal. He answered that it was. Since he was only 10 minutes from home he was just going to finish the drive. I told him I would see him in a few minutes and then hung up the phone to get a few things done before he got home. Immediately the phone rang again and it was Trent saying that the car completely died. He was stuck in the middle of the road in the cold, rain. I called a tow truck and called our neighbor, Jeff. Jeff very graciously went and picked up Trent.

The sad part is that it will cost just shy of 2500 dollars to fix. I am rather attached to money apparantly because I am having a hard time parting with it!

So then, why do I feel blessed? Well it has been cold and rainy here for a week. And miraculously every morning at 5:10 a.m. it stops raining just so Amy, Nora, and I can go running. I mean -- you have to feel pretty special when you realize the heavens (and clouds) are parting just long enough for you to exercise. Each day by about the 2 mile mark it starts raining again. Yesterday it was raining hard enough that I called it quits at 1.73 miles. But today I made it to 3. Of course we were walking at the end, because if we ran the rain kind of stung on your face.

So, I know, that even if the car breaks down, and I have to part with a lot of money, someone is watching over me to make sure I exercise!

4 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Good for you, Jamie!! I need to get back on the exercise band wagon again. It is so hard to get motivated to exercise when it is 5 degrees outside. It makes me want to just stay in and read with a warm blanket....one of these days I be in shape again:)

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Your persepctive as a mom changes things...when running becomes a blessing! ha ha ha. I was thinking you were talking about your new van but realized that you drove that!

Abby said...

Hey! I just got that e-mail today (when I checked my old e-mail for the first time in months)! Good to see ya in the blogosphere! Your kids are beautiful!