Monday, August 1, 2011

To know her is to understand her


When I have felt alone and am missing my mother, I have found great comfort in walking through her home paying attention to all the small things she placed in it.  Almost immediately I noticed this book.  I had not read it, but I instantly remembered my mom talking about loving it.  She had it in a prominent place on the shelf.  I grabbed it and have been reading a little each night.  It is beautiful.  It is about women.  It is empowering.  It is personal.  I see that my mom took a lot of wisdom from the book and applied it in her life and I want to do the same.  As I find the things that mother loves, I feel a sense of connection with her. 

While the book is not religious, it is deeply spiritual and shows just how women need to strengthen and fortify themselves to accomplish the most good.   Here are some of my favorite quotes (so far)

"After all, I don't see why I am always asking for private, individual, selfish miracles when every year there are miracles like white dogwood. "
Anne Morrow Lindbergh
This quote means so much to me as I live in CT close to where Anne Lindbergh did and I know exactly what she means about the miraculous beauty of white dogwood. 

"I must write it all out, at any cost. Writing is thinking. It is more than living, for it is being conscious of living. "
Anne Morrow Lindbergh

This speaks to my desire to write.  If only I had all the time in the world. 

So if any of you want to "hear" some wonderful words of wisdom from my mom, I would recommend this book as it is one of her favorites. 



No comments: