Saturday, December 22, 2007

The ninth post of Christmas

The kids got out of school yesterday (Friday). This morning at 10 a.m. Catherine wailed, "This is going to be soooooooooooooooooo hard, this winter break. I miss school soooooooooooooooo much. What are we going to doooooooooooooo?"

It might be a very very long Christmas break.

Catherine said another funny thing when we went to HEB this morning. It was absolutely packed. There were sherriff's directing traffic in front and hardly a parking spot to be found. As we were leaving in the van we turned up an aisle to head for the exit. The woman in front of us was searching for a parking space. She stopped as a (kind of old and kind of slow and kind of round) woman with a huge cart full of groceries opened the trunk of her car. And there she waited (blocking traffic) for this lady to unload all of her groceries. In the mean time, 6 parking places became available on our aisle. The closest one being only 3 spaces further down. But the car in front of me made no motion towards any of these other spots and continued to wait and wait and wait for the full-cart woman to finish the unloading, close the trunk and get in the car. The moment finally arrived. The car door closed. The brake lights turned on. And last but most important of all the reverse lights came on. BUT, the waiting car had gotten too close to the parked car and the parked car could not get out of her spot. So the car in front of me whips into reverse. I start honking (something I rarely do). Does she not see me??? Is she going to hit me????? I can't go in reverse (as I glance in the rearview and see the line of 4 other cars waiting). I honk again and she is still coming toward me. Each of us in the line are now in reverse and slowly each one is backing up and then finally I can back up and then finally the ordeal is over. We proceed to exit (passing all the newly emptied parking spaces) When Catherine comments, "Mom that was crazy, she waited and waited to be able to park next to that green car when there was the same green car next to a different empty space.

Apparently in Catherine's interpretation of events, she had decided that the woman just had to park next to this green car. Perhaps it was her favorite color??? Perhaps it had the fanciest wheels??? Who knows???? Kids' interpretations of events are always so interesting to me.

As for me, I just hope I am never so lazy that I will wait and wait and wait all for the sake of saving 15 extra steps on the way to the grocery.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Clearly green is the awesomest color ever. I feel your frustration and am very glad my husband wasn't there as he would be serving time for assaulting the waiter, as it's one of his huge pet peeves.