Monday, September 3, 2007

Early, early morning

At 5:15 am this morning, Adam awoke. Trent went to get him out of bed and I went to the bathroom. As I walked through the bathroom, I saw it. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a dark shadow run quickly from the middle of the bathroom floor to the toilet room. I muffled my scream knowing that 2 of my kids were asleep just feet away in my bed (why they were there is another post entirely) but I threw towels along the bottom of the door so that it could not escape. When Trent appeared with Adam, I informed him of our new little mouse friend in the bathroom. I went upstairs to feed Adam and Trent stated he would get ready, but that he would need my help so to hurry back after I put Adam down. Fifteen minutes later I was back and Trent was ready. He had blocked off all escape routes out of our bathroom and procured a broomstick, garbage can and even got socks and shoes on. We commenced in silence. Trent opened the door and then he saw it. . . and it was only a cockroach. He laughed and grabbed a magazine and the cockroach was a goner.

So, first, let me just say that I cannot believe the phrase "it was only a cockroach" is OK with me -- it is just that that is so much better than a mouse. And, second (as anyone who has ever been to my home can attest) MY HOUSE IS VERY CLEAN AND OREDERLY. The only thing we can think of is that the house next door is being built right now and driving all the current residents of the field toward us. My sister commented that maybe we could collect them -- and she is not all that far off. We had a turtle in the garage and lots of bunnies in the yard (Trent only got 2 of them with the lawn mower-- he did not see them). So yes, we are affectionately referring to the yard as the JUNGLE. And with all the rain, it really looks like one too!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Yes, more specimens for your menagerie!!!