Thursday, January 8, 2015

ARD

I spoke with the speech therapist yesterday afternoon confirming that I had gotten all the documents and would be at the school for the ARD for Madelyn's speech at 8 am today.  I had it on my calendar, I had a plan.  I got up in the morning and got ready for it and at 7:30, Madelyn started complaining that her throat hurt and she wanted to stay home from school.  I was trying to decide if this was real or just slight exaggeration.  In the meantime, Catherine jumped on the bandwagon saying her throat hurt a little too and she should stay home.  Now, they had both been up already for a while (we have piano lessons from 6 am - 7:30 am) and there had been no complaining before.  I certainly don't want sick kids to go to school, but I also don't want well kids to miss school and have to make up all the work.

I suggested that they could both stay home, relax on the couch and help fold the 10 loads of laundry that needed to be done.  Before I could say anything Madelyn was curled up on the couch folding laundry.  Catherine, though, was sprinting through the house frantically trying to get ready for school.  She missed the bus at 8:00 and so I quickly got Owen dressed and we got in the van about 8:15 to take Catherine to school.

My cell phone rang at 8:20.  It was the speech therapist. I had missed the ARD.

It's amazing how a slight change of plans has the ability to derail the whole schedule.

Catherine was perfectly fine all day.  Madelyn rested and seems fine.  There has not been a single complaint about sore throats since this morning.

No comments: