Tuesday, April 30, 2013

I can't believe I had to take Owen to the ER

Now, for those of you who know me I don't particularly like taking my kids to the doctor. I know this sounds totally proud and arrogant, but I just hate feeling hostage to someone else for the treatment of my child simply because they have a degree that I don't have. So, when Owen came to me and told me he stuck a craisen up his nose I was pretty confident I would be able to get it out. I have had friend's kids do this and I have advised them and helped them. I know what to do and what to try. So, first I looked up his nose. I could see the craisen. It was pretty far up there. I knew that the best way to get it out is to use my finger to close his other nostril and place my mouth over his mouth and blow. Yes, it sounds creepy. Yes, it is not the most hygienic. But it is something that a parent can do that not even their doctor will do and it really works. It just didn't work for me. First, having never done it before my mind immediately remembered my lessons from infant CPR and blowing too hard and over inflating the lungs. I was not sure how hard I could blow, so I exercised considerable restraint. I tried 10 or more times but nothing. Secondly, I think the main problem was that the craisen was not completely obstructing air flow and so despite my blowing the air just moved around the craisen. Third, it was hard to do because Owen was crying.

Next I got out my baby blue bulb aspirator. I tried and tried. Owen cried and cried. I had to restrain him by placing his head between my thighs with his feet pointed the same direction as my feet and then placing each of his arms under my legs. It is a kind and gentle restraint, but it is so effective at immobilization that Owen was absolutely screaming.

Lastly I duct taped a hard straw to the end of my vacuum hand held tube. But I just didn't have enough hands to restrain him, position the straw part, flip the vacuum switch, and switch it off, so rather than give up I called a friend over to help me. We tried and gave it out best effort, but I could not get that stupid craisen out.

I called my doctor's office and naturally they were out for lunch from 12:30 - 2:00 and all my big kids had so many activities that I needed to be home starting at 3:00 so I felt like I had no choice but to run him to the local ER (which is about 2 min away). They got us right in. The doctor tried little forceps while a nurse and I restrained Owen. He had no luck.

Then he tried a larger nasal aspirator . . . no luck. Then he tried a suction thing (that oddly looked like my vacuum tube with a straw except that the tubing was flexible). no luck.

By now, Owen was in a frenzy. His nose was bleeding and swelling and the craisen was no longer visible. The doctor felt like the best idea was to send us home and watch him and let his body try and work it out. If it had been a marble or button then they would sedate him, but for a soft thing like a craisen that would continue to soften he hoped that it would break up and Owen would either swallow it or sneeze it out. I thought, "thanks for nothing, doc."

Geez, I can't wait to get that bill.

He stuck a craisen up his nose.   #lovetheER Home from the ER. Chocolate ice cream and hot chocolate is what he wanted.  The docs couldn't get the craisen out either. They said warm drinks and saline to soften it and it'll be gone soon enough. Home from the ER. Chocolate ice cream and hot chocolate is what he wanted.

No comments: