Sunday, March 29, 2009

Another ER trip

but this time for me.

I feel rather foolish about the whole thing.

I stumbled on the stairs. My left foot and leg went forward, my right leg bent at the knee underneath me and I "sat") right on top of my heal. (sat, being the euphimistic term for landing with all my weight).

I heard a horrid popping noise (and felt it) and I would say that on a scale from 1 to 10 with pain, I was at a 10. The world was going dark around me. Trent helped me get to the couch where I rested. It hurt so bad that even screaming seemed futile and a waste of energy. I even thought "Labor is nothing compared to this!"

I knew I was in shock. My face was pale and clammy. I even had Trent feel my cold sweaty face. The kids got me ice and then I think it hurt so bad that for a while I couldn't even feel it. (Yep, definately shock)

All of us were in our PJ's before getting ready for church. Trent started to help the kids get ready and I laid on the couch -- I actually made a few phone calls to see if we could just drop the kids off with friends at church since the church is on the way to the hospital. Ember was more than willing to help with the kids.

So Trent was busy with the kids and my problem now was that I had to go to the bathroom. I didn't want to bother him, so I threw a pillow on the floor and crawled to the bathroom. While crawling (with my ankle kind of dangling in the air or dragging behind) I felt and heard another popping sound -- and amazingly my pain dropped to about a 2 or 3.

I even tried to stand on it and found I could (although it was very sore, and my leg kind of shook.)

We still went to the hospital as a large amount of pain was still coming from my leg (the tibia), but the x-rays showed it was not broken.

So, I am good. I walk slow. I can assure you if you dislocate your ankle the pain is like nothing else in the world and perhaps if you try crawling to the bathroom you will be lucky enough to have it pop back in place.

So beware the stairs! I know I will (again!)

On the plus side. I still have never broken a bone! (knock on wood)

5 comments:

Marci said...

I'm glad you didn't break it, although the pain you described sounds horrible...especially coming from someone who has been through labor 4 times :-)!

Andrea said...

Eeek! That story was awful. I'm glad you're not broken, but it sounds horrible.

Kelli said...

that sounds horrible! glad your better. And just think, the pain that you would have been if you had to have them put it back into place. this way, you did it on your own and wasnt expecting it to happen that minute. that has to be a great blessing.

Julie said...

Eww... Reminds me of when my son pulled his hamstring. I heard the "pop" about five feet away. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I feel for your pain and am glad you're doing so much better.
Aunt Peg